5 Tips for selling your products or services on social media
Selling on social media is becoming more popular, more accessible, and more appealing to businesses with an online presence. However, there are right ways to do it and wrong ways to sell through your social networks. We’re going to break down our five best tips for successfully selling your products or services on social media.
- Make them glad they came. The strongest brands that sell through their social media accounts have grown a following by showing the value of their product or service before ever making a sale. They take their audience on a compelling social journey of their brand and build a foundation based on an authentic voice, look and brand.
- Use the 80/20 Rule… but even more precise. We use our 80/20 rule for growing engagement on social media, but we polish it a bit for selling on social media. Bring something to the table for your audience 80% of the time—from your own tips, tricks, or how to’s, to informational articles you have written or read, always give more than you receive. Ten percent should be a call to action to increase audience engagement. Ask them to like, share, comment, or tag your posts to get the conversation started. The last 10% is the respectable allocation for your business promotions, a small ask can go a long way.
- Give them what they want, while you get what you want. Keep in mind that most users do not turn to social media with a “ready-to-buy” mentality. They aren’t looking to start online shopping, so you have to give a little, but then you end up getting a whole lot more. Social media is a great place to offer special sales, promotions and contests for your followers. Reward your followers for being loyal fans using a platform-only discount or contest to state your call to action, then watch the sales roll in.
- Instill the F.O.M.O. Fear of Missing Out is real and it’s powerful. Give your audience a sense of urgency with language like, “SALE, today only!” or “limited supply, just 200 available” or “contest starts tomorrow, last chance to enter and WIN.” Generate excitement through limited quantities and offerings, so your audience and customers get involved before they “miss out.”
- Keep your profiles up-to-date. This might seem obvious; however, with all the moving pieces on multiple platforms, this task can be tricky, tedious, but it is so very important. Make sure every profile has the most recent deal and sale—use cover photos and profile pictures to display the latest and greatest. If your profile isn’t up to snuff, your audience will assume you’ve neglected it all together and not come back.
Selling on social media requires due diligence and attention. Following these tips will bring you one step closer to seeing conversions from the investment you put in with your followers every day. We love helping businesses strategize and figure out how to reach their audience and promote with class. For more advice and insight into marketing your business online, contact us.